Are you ready? TWO pretties this week…
My adventures in lighter weight fibers continue. I was frustrated, because our local shops carry worsted weight and thread, but not much in between.
So the last time I made it to the “expensive” yarn store, I picked up something pretty, and light, on a whim…not really having any idea what I was getting. I read about exotic yarns–silk, mohair, bamboo, cotton blends– but who can afford it? And that, of course, is if you can FIND it! I’m afraid buying fancy yarn to “experiment” with is mostly out-of-the-question, here.
But, for once, I did! Grabbing a couple skeins off the shelf that felt marvelous and had a color scheme to die for, I arrived at the cashier and discovered it was ON SALE. This is a charmed project from the outset, I think…the picture I just KNEW the yarn was meant for, appeared in my google images…and miraculously led to an actual PATTERN…instead of another dead end of broken links.
The yarn weight is a two, and says draylon microfiber. It was a treat to work with! Deborah Norville Serenity Garden, two skeins
The patterns were free charts online, I googled “lace circle vest crochet”.
Please excuse the camera work, I am breaking in a new assistant as her sisters were away at camp last week. 🙂
I wish this one came in solids, especially cream or white…I have searched everywhere (online) for something similar, to no avail. I absolutely love it, and want to make another. I used a J hook.
In the meantime, I couldn’t wait to order yarn, so as I showed you last week:
The weight and drape was just not satisfactory after that lovely previous yarn. This was Red Heart Fashion cotton thread #5, and almost plastic in feel, ugh. Love the pretty shimmer, but so stiff.
And I ran out, one ball short…only to find out it is discontinued, wail! Crisis moment…because it came out so much smaller than I had hoped. So I tried something new. Blocking!
I pinned, then stretched and repinned, and again…my neighbor came over and chatted with me while I worked and it was a pleasant diversion. I had to use regular straight pins, as I couldn’t find my quilting ones with the pretty round ball heads that are so much easier on the fingers.
I looked for a good twenty minutes, but they weren’t any of the places I had left them…and around here, if I don’t make it quick, it won’t get done. So with stinging fingertips, I stretched it once more, then left it to dry.
And here is the full pic, as promised! After blocking, it is my size. 🙂
So there we are.
Yarn project deliciousness ahead!
Happy hooking. ♡